Women and their Work


EDWINA SETON April 1 1924
Women and their Work


EDWINA SETON April 1 1924



Question—Mrs. W. T. C., Alberta: My daughter, who is just finishing her eleventh grade is eager to take up work as a dietitian. Where are the best schools giving this course? Would taking such a course make her self-supporting, and how would it compare in this respect with country school teaching or stenography? About what would the instruction cost?

Answer—Your daughter could take the University course of Household Science, with which is incorporated the Arts Course. This is given in Toronto and at the University of Alberta, Edmonton. It requires four years of training at Toronto University, and three or four in Edmonton. Or she could spend a year at Normal, qualifying as a public school teacher, followed by one year in Toronto at the College of Education, where there is a course in Domestic Science lasting one year especially designed for public school teachers. The cost of this is $25,

which, of course, does not include board. Public school teachers taking this course receive better salaries than those without this specialty. So if your daughter is not prepared to take the four-year University course (ending in a degree, with the practical dietetic work taken in a hospital) I think the course at the College of Education would be an excellent choice. With it she would have a greater choice of posts than with the public school teaching alone. But the University training would fit her to embark on the career of a dietitian and take a position in a hospital. This is very hard, exacting work.

Question—Miss A. F., British Columbia: I would like to know how to get a position as a proof-reader? I have taken a correspondence course and was educated for teaching. Would working in the offiee of a small weekly newspaper help? How do salaries compare for

proof-reading in book, magazine and newspaper publishing houses?

Answer—Your best course will be to advertise in leading newspapers. While waiting for the post you seek, the work on the weekly newspaper would give you the experience you need. Very few women are employed as proof-readers in newspaper offices and printing establishments, as there is a Printers’ Union, in which proof-readers are included. A leading publishing house in Toronto employs two women proof-readers, to whom it pays $30 a week; they are exceptionally well educated, with Frénch also. As there are comparatively few openings for women proof-readers, the salaries given cannot very well be specified, each firm paying what it thinks the work is worth.

Question—Miss M. D., Saskatchewan Can you inform me if there is a firm in Canada that buys silver or lead paper? I heard there was one in Regina, but am not sure of it.

Answer—I have sent you the name of a Toronto firm that buys this material. Doubtless there is a junk dealer in Regina also that would buy your metal. Look in the advertising columns of a Regina newspaper, or write to the Board of Trade there for the address of a metal dealer.

Question—Mrs. V., Alberta: Will you please tell me how to obtain a patent on a small invention. To whom should I apply? How should one proceed to market the article after it is patented? Is it best to sell it outright, or to sell it on a royalty basis?

Answer—Write to the Patent Branch, Department of Trade and Commerce, Ottawa, and ask for information about taking out your patent. As to marketing the article afterwards, you will have to give it publicity in various ways, through advertising and perhaps also by demonstrating it to show its value. If the article is practical and fills an everyday need, it might be best to sell it on a royalty basis. But if it is something for which there will be a limited demand, probably selling it outright might prove more satisfactory.

Question—Miss V. P., Alberta: I am 15 years old, in Grade Ten of High School, and hope to make telegraphy my work. What kind of a course would I have to take? Should I have to go through Grade Twelve? Is it necessary to know Latin and French? If I took a course, how many months of study would be necessary?

Answer—I have seiri you the name of a Toronto School of Telegraphy. The day course lasts six months and costs $90. If desired, part of this course can be taken by correspondence, but it would require a longer time to complete it. A public school education is all that is necessary. Latin and French are not required. Doubtless there is a school of Telegraphy nearer to you than Toronto. Write to the Calgary Board of Trade and make enquiry.

Question—V. McL. B., Quebec: Can you tell me of a reliable authority on the value of ancient coins? I have a coin which is said to have been in use in Egypt 250 B.C., and I should like to realize on it.

Answer—Send a full description of your old coin, and, if possible, a photograph of it, to the Numismatic Bank, Houston, Texas, and you will be advised as to its value.

Question—Miss G., Saskatchewan: Could you tell me the best way to set about getting a position as chauffeuse either in British Columbia or Eastern Canada? I should like a position as private chauffeuse, or rise work in a taxi garage, as I’ve had a good deal of experience.

Answer—With regard to getting such a post, your best plan would be to insert an advertisement in the'leading Vancouver, Victoria and Toronto newspaper, setting forth your qualifications. You might be able to get the dual post of eompanion-chauffeuse. By subscribing to a newspaper issued in the place in which you desire to locate, you would have a chance of seeing what was offering in your line. But I don’t think you would care to drive a public taxi, as it would sometimes bring you into contact with an undesirable element.