Firefighters in Dunbar, Scotland, are nothing if not dedicated. When Angela Appleby phoned the fire station in a fret because a pet hamster, Fudgie, was on the loose, the engines came racing. Firefighters dismantled Appleby’s stove and gas pipes, launched a chocolate-covered camera probe into crevices and used a vacuum cleaner (they put a sock over the nozzle). All this failed. It took a local SPCA chapter to tease out Fudgie with baited traps.
The story you want is part of the Maclean’s Archives. To access it, log in here or sign up for your free 30-day trial.
Experience anything and everything Maclean's has ever published — over 3,500 issues and 150,000 articles, images and advertisements — since 1905. Browse on your own, or explore our curated collections and timely recommendations.WATCH THIS VIDEO for highlights of everything the Maclean's Archives has to offer.